Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dr. Seuss Day!

Happy Dr. Seuss Day!  Today is that famous man's birthday - his real name is Theodor Seuss Geisel.   He published 46 children's books and many other poems and things.  Today, to remember him, I have decided to post some of the numerous and random quotes by him.  Some of them, which may seem senseless, also have more than the surface, and a deeper meaning.  So enjoy these quotes from Dr. Seuss!


  • “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  • “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”

  • “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

  • “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

  • “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

  • “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

  • “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”

  • “If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”

  • “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”

  • “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!”

  • “They say I'm old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!”

  • “When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles......they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle.”

  • “Be awesome! Be a book nut!”

  • “ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, 'Act swiftly awesome pacyderm!”

  • “Think and wonder, wonder and think.”

  • “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”

  • “There's no limit to how much you'll know, depending how far beyond zebra you go.”

  • “The storm starts, when the drops start dropping
When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping.”

  • “Poor empty pants
With nobody inside them.”

  • “If you'd never been born, then you might be an Isn't!
An Isn't has no fun at all. No, he disn't.”

  • “How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”

  • “Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent.”

  • “Just tell yourself, Duckie, you're real quite lucky.”

  • “My alphabet starts with this letter called yuzz. It s the letter I use to spell yuzz a ma tuzz. You ll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond Z and start poking around ”

  • “I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam-I-Am.”

  • “It all began with a shoe on the wall. A shoe on the wall shouldn't be there at all.”

  • “Horton, the kangaroo has sent Vlad!'
Vlad? I know two Vlads. One is a cute little bunny that brings me cookies. The other is bad Vlad. Which Vlad?'
Which one do you think?'
Bad Vlad?'
Good call.” 



  • “You have to be a speedy reader because there’s so so much to read.”

  • “I meant what I said and I said what I meant.”

  • “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”

  • “My shoe is off. My foot is cold. I have a bird I like to hold.”

  • “Gray day. Everything is gray. I watch. But nothing moves today.”

  • “It is better to know how to learn than to know.”

  • “I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ”

  • “You can find magic
wherever you look.
Sit back and relax,
all you need is a book.” 

  • “And what would you do if you met a jibboo?”

  • “My trouble was I had a mind but I couldn't make it up!”

  • “This book is to be read in bed.”

  • “We're all a little weird, and when we find someone who's weirdness is comparable with each others weirdness. We fall in a mutual weirdness and we call it love!”

  • “I box in yellow Gox box socks.”

  • “Teeth are always in style.”

  • “If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.”

  • “The more you read, the more things you will know.”

  • “The words in this book are all phooey. When you say them, your lips will make slips and back flips and your tongue may end up in Saint Looey!”

  • “Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew. While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew. Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze. Freezy trees made these trees' cheese freeze. That's what made these three free fleas sneeze.”


  • “The news just came in from the County of Keck
That a very small bug by the name of Van Vleck
Is yawning so wide you can look down his neck.
This may not seem very important, I know, but it
Is, so I'm bothering telling you so.” 


  • “Sometimes you will never know the value of something,until it becomes a memory.”

    • “FICTION IS MY ADDICTION!!”

  • “Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.”

  • “Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches had bellies with stars. The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars.”

  • “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

  • “Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.”

  • “Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry.”




I hope these made you smile. Celebrate Read Across America Day Today!!!!!
Books are AWESOME!!

~Caroline Meek


No comments:

Post a Comment